INTA GRAYSHON is my new solo project! Over 60 album concepts have been planned in Omnioutliner to structure the creation of new music and the completion of unfinished musical ideas from “The Pile,” going back as far as the 1980s! Albums have been designed around using specific software programs and live instruments, telling personal stories through sound, and exploring various compositional techniques, systems, forms and genres. After the completion of each album, a number of videos will be created to share related creative and technical information. There are currently 5 albums in progress:
- DAW: Ableton Live Suite
- Virtual Instruments: Absynth and Abbey Road Drummer Collection (all 12 kits from Vintage, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s and Modern)
- Live Instruments: Electric Bass, Fretless Bass, Acoustic Guitar, Classical Guitar, Electric Guitar, Soprano Sax, Ram’s Horn, Rainsticks – all recorded using the AB stereo technique
- Microphones: 2 Avantone CK-1 Small-Capsule FET Pencil Microphones (I realize the brand is not “Abantone,” but close enough!)
- Amp: Vintage EBS Gorm Professional Bass Combo 300 Watt (I realize the brand is not “ABS,” but close enough!)
- Concept: The 12 titles feature “Ab” words that define the style and instrumentation: “Ab Laze,” “Ab Original,” “Ab So Lute,” etc.
- DAW: Pro Tools Studio
- Virtual Instruments: 3 original Reaktor granular sampler/synthesizer ensembles utilizing samples of my cats meowing and purring (Pumpkin Patch Meowlody Synth, Kit Kat Kord Synth and Fuzzy Snuggles Bass Synth), an original Reaktor “drum” machine (Drum Meowchine) featuring samples of noises recorded during cat feeding, cat related ensembles from the Reaktor User Library including Fatcat, Midi Kitten, Misu (Octave Kitten emulation), Paw! and Octave Cat SRM, and also sounds and effects that have feline-ish names from other software devices too numerous to mention (from Air, Native Instruments, Reason, Spectrasonics and UVI)
- Concept: Each of the 10 pieces has a title and style inspired by an Electronic Music genre: “Housecats,” “Jazztronicats,” “Musique Concats,” etc.
- DAW: Logic Pro X
- Virtual Instruments: Numerous Reaktor ensembles from Komplete 13 Ultimate and the Reaktor User Library
- Concept: An emotional collection of 18 Electronic Music pieces inspired by personal events. Since I have way too many Reaktor ensembles, this project is an attempt to make use of as many of them as possible. In addition to using Komplete Kontrol to organize my favorite sounds, I’ve also created my own “Kategory Kontrol” system for organizing my favorite sounds from hundreds of Reaktor User Library ensembles.
2 MUTCH HUTCH
- DAW: Digital Performer
- Virtual Instruments: Hutchinson Sparkway, a simple Reaktor synthesizer I created, and 684 Night Beats, Henry Hudson Harmonyway, Major Deegan Expansionway and Saw Mill Sampleway, all sample-based, original Reaktor ensembles using selected samples from Expansions
- Live Instrument: Electric Bass
- Concept: Reflections on dangerous drives home from the late night NYC gigs I used to do. The 10 mostly Nu Jazz styled pieces borrow musical elements from songs I played over and over at private events since the 90s. Electric Bass is the lead instrument since that is the instrument I played on those gigs.
- DAW: Logic Pro X
- Virtual Instruments: Every Logic Pro X instrument
- Live Instruments: Electric Bass, Electric Guitar, Soprano Sax
- Concept: 10 Psybient styled Electronic Music pieces using Logic Pro X instruments and effects exclusively, with inspiration from Mr. Spock of the original Star Trek series.